There is nothing inconveniencing like a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. What makes it even worse is when you don’t have a spare tire for replacement. But again, how far can you drive on that spare tire? This is why it is paramount to have an air pump. Although you can keep it at your home garage, an air pump is a critical tool that should not miss in your car trunk.
The biggest advantage of air pumps or car tire inflators is that they are portable and come with specialized features that make tire inflation easy. With an air pump, you can inflate a flat tire in a matter of minutes or make minor adjustments to your car tire pressure based on the existing road conditions. However, buying a car tire air pump isn’t an easy task. There is a lot of information surrounding car tire air pumps.
If you’re planning to buy one and save yourself some stress as you drive this vacation, then we’ve compiled a list of top 10 best portable air pumps for car tires in 2018 to guide you. These air pumps have been ranked based on reliability, price, performance, portability and other features.
Best Portable Air Pump for Car Tires – 2019
#10 EPAuto Portable Air Compressor Pump with 12V DC
EPAuto is a multi-purpose air pump that is very convenient to use. It is designed for the on-the-go user. All you need to do is to plug it directly into a socket, and you’ll be ready to use. For ease of use, this air pump has an intuitive four unit display.
It also shuts off automatically thus preventing over-inflation that might lead to tire burst. Additionally, it safeguards against overheating. It works quietly and fast thus saving you the stress of having to go to gas stations.
- Has a good cable
- It is easy to set up and use
- The overheat protector makes it safe to use
- Works efficiently and quiet.
- At higher PSI, the pumping slows down.
#9 Viair Portable 88P Air Compressor
Viair focuses on compactness and portability. Whether you’ll be checking your car tire pressure on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, this air pump guarantees you the best performance on the go. The materials used and the design featured renders it a durable and reliable air pump.
Just connect the alligator clamps to power your air pump. When connected to a DC, this pump can pump as large as a 33-inch tire. There is a led indicator that shows you the progress. Apart from inflating your car tire, you can use it to inflate large trucks, SUVs and bikes and more.
- Very affordable
- Heavy duty and can last for long
- Compact and highly portable
- Very reliable particularly for those with sophisticated cars that need constant pressure checking.
- Although it is reliable, it requires frequent stops while using to let it cool down.
#8 AstroAI 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump
AstroAI is a portable air pump that comes with advanced technology. It accurately monitors and measures your car tire pressure thus eliminating guesswork. It is made of quality materials, so it can withstand all forms of abuse.
It can pump up to 35 liters of air in a minute; this air pump can save you time by inflating your car tires within a short time. AstroAI does almost everything for you. Just program it.
- Safe to use
- Contains all features needed for easy tire inflation
- Durable due to high-quality construction.
- Easy to use. Just program and let it do the job.
- Comes with a carry bag for added portability
- High level of accuracy
- The screw connector needs to be removed quickly, or else it might reduce pressure.
#7 TireTek RX-I Inflator Air Pump
TireTek is a standalone air pump that delivers a whopping 30liters of air in a single minute. Noise Canceling technology enables it to work quietly. Besides, it doesn’t vibrate even during heavy pumping.
The LED light means you can pump your deflated tires in the dark. The small, compact and lightweight design makes it very portable.
- The preset feature and the auto shut-off make it easy to operate
- Rubber feet give it added stability
- Powerful and works fast
- PSI gauge is a bit inaccurate
#6 Fortem Digital Tire Inflator
Emergencies regarding flat tires should never bring your journey to a halt. Inflate your car, motorcycle, ATV, sports balls, jeeps, and air mattresses quickly with this efficient and multi-purpose air pump. Fortem Digital Pump is a quality, portable and easy to use air pump designed for every safety-minded traveler.
The extra-long power cord is a plus and gives you added convenience. The digital display is easy to read and use. It shuts off automatically upon reaching the set pressure limit.
- It is very accurate.
- Simple interface makes it easy to use
- Strong clamp gives it added flexibility
- Extra-long cord ensures added versatility
- The case is made of sturdy plastic with no padding at the bottom.
#5 SuperFlow 12V Portable Air Pump
While it may appear large in pictures, SuperFlow is one compact air pump that is suitable for everyday use. It is made for inflating flat tires, air mattresses, and summer pool toys and many more. The metal body construction makes it one enduring air pump.
- Very durable for heavy use
- The gauge is very accurate
- Inflates quickly
- The handles are inflated making it ideal for prolonged use
- The cord is somehow cheap
#4 Brill’s Portable Tire Air Pump 12V DC
Properly inflated car tires can mean added safety and gas saving and this is precisely what Brill gives you. It is a 3-in-1 air pump designed for inflating car tires, balls, bicycle tires, athletic equipment, motorcycle tires, and other inflatables.
It packs a nice set of cool features including a microprocessor for pressure monitoring, Digital LCD for use in the dark and a flashlight for emergencies. The inflator is powered by a 12V DC which is connected to a cigarette lighter.
- Three different inflation types with accurate readings
- Easy attachment and removal.
- Very compact and portable
- Comes with a carry case
- It is a little loud during operation.
#3 Jaco SmartPro Inflator Pump 100 PSI
This is made with the needs of tech-savvy individuals in mind. Jaco SmartPro utilizes smart technology with a pre-set feature. It has a heavy duty 10-inch air hose with a twist-connect nozzle that provides hands-free operation. It has LED lights that can be turned on and off depending on your preference.
- It is packed with cool features
- Operates quietly
- Lightweight and compact
- Incredible inflation speed of up to 25l/min
- Hose length is good for varied uses.
- Accuracy is a little bit a problem although not that much. The error of +/-1 isn’t a significant issue.
#2 Helteko 12V Portable Air Pump
A spare tire alone doesn’t suffice complete peace of mind. You need a good car tire inflator to handle all emergencies. Helteko is a traveler’s choice that guarantees easy tire inflation in case of unexpected flat tires.
It can inflate SUVs, cars and bike tires in a brief time. With a combination of durable ABS plastic construction and stainless steel, this air pump is one sturdy pick that suits extreme tire inflations.
- Very light and suitable for regular travelers
- Soft rubber feet for added stability and noise reduction
- The automatic shut-off improves the safety of your tires when inflating.
- The LED readout is a bit faint.
#1 Lifeline AAA 12V DC Air Pump
Tire inflation shouldn’t make you panic and sweat. Lifeline AAA is a performance-oriented car tire inflator that features a potent heavy-duty motor for efficient air pumping. The compact size makes it easy to store at the back of your car.
It has a very versatile design that makes it ideal for multiple uses ranging from camping mattresses to car and motorbike tires. The three nozzle adapters imply high versatility.
- Handy and ideal for personal use
- Pretty simple to use. Just attach the connector and plug it to a cigarette lighter.
- The locking mechanism holds it in place.
- Compact and easy to store
- It is a bit noisy.